Various actors have portrayed Jesus. I unearthed a partial list at Listology:
- Willem Dafoe in The Last Temptation of Christ
- James Caviezel in The Passion of the Christ
- Jeremy Sisto in Jesus (made for tv)
- Brian Deacon in Jesus (from '79)
- Claude Heater in Ben-Hur
- Kenneth Colley in Life of Brian
- Ted Neeley in Jesus Christ Superstar
- William Powell in Jesus Of Nazareth
- Max Von Sydow in The Greatest Story Ever Told
- H.B. Warner in The King Of Kings
- Jeffrey Hunter in the King of Kings ('61)
A recent musical comedy, Prop 8 The Musical, was prompted by the issue of gay marriage.
There's a good background piece at Time.com about the video. The video was launched at Funny or Die about four months ago (written, as writer Marc Shaiman notes, "six weeks later than he shoulda" referencing the date of the passage of California's Ballot Measure 9) and has received almost 4 million hits.
Shaiman refers to it as a "viral picket sign...hopefully funny" in his interview at NYT ArtsBeat Blog.
What do you think? Funny? Blasphemous? Likely to influence someone who didn't have a strong opinion before seeing it?
Do you think if this had been produced before election day, it could have made a difference to the outcome?
Oh - and one more thing. I just discovered this, a mock PSA on the Jimmy Kimmel show by actress Portia de Rossi, who married Ellen Degeneres in August 2008.